Monday, December 15, 2008

Exhilarating freedom



Being a writer, people ask me why I write. Having a poetical turn of mind, I think I can best sum it up in a poem:

The blank page calls,
the heart responds,
imagination spreads wide its wings
and launches into infinity...
Fingers dance,
words flow,
the page fills,
the soul takes flight
and the spirit sings.
Copyright © Helena Harper

This is why I write – because it makes me feel exhilaratingly free (and this is why I gave up teaching after 20 years, because I felt like I was being put more and more in a straitjacket and was just going round and round in circles: anyone else have that feeling?). I can write what I like and how I like and that's a wonderful feeling!

I would love to know what makes you feel exhilarated and why? And how would you express it? (A thought's just occurred – perhaps this could be the subject of a third collection of poems...?)

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I am sure many would envy you your 'freedom feeling'. For me reading non-fiction prose in an easy style helps me acquire new knowledge to handle life. Good luck with your next book. Your first two books are very inciteful and your style is refreshing.

    CNW, Surrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel high when I'm either hula hooping or writing. Both release me, physically and mentally when I need to express myself... and I need to let the demons and angels out to play. If I don't they get cooped up. Writing for myself and no one else is freeing to my soul.

    Maria
    booklaunchcafe.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more, Maria! Being physically active also gives me a sense of release which is why I like to play tennis and go dancing. Thank you so much for reading my blog and commenting!

    ReplyDelete