Friday, January 23, 2009

Hope for Peace?

Many people are hoping for a better world with the dawn of a new American president. My hope is for a world with less violence.

THE BABY

The child,
screaming out of the mother’s womb,
stares unseeingly at the people in white;
this hospital her first home,
nestling in a sleepy English town,
hugged by cozy hills of green.
The mother with foreign eyes
cradles the child,
smiling weakly through
her sweat sodden mist of exhaustion.
Had her own mother in that childhood land
destroyed by guns and bombs
cradled her thus?

The English father looking on,
eyes burning with love and pride,
easing the precious burden
into his arms...
What of the future
for this baby so small?
A fusion of two cultures,
two nations,
two lands,
divided by man-made lines.
Do guns and bombs await her, too,
or only half of her?
Must she take sides
between mother and father
when others of their kind
suddenly call each other enemy?
Which half to give to which?
Impossible —
belonging to both and neither!
Mocking the ludicrous absurdity
of national divisions
people fight and die for.

This time, this place, these parents,
the child’s choice — why?
A small champion
for a new way,
a new life,
a new world of humanity?
A sign of hope
that in the future
we can finally be free
from our present, crazy,
violent insanity?

Copyright © 2008 Helena Harper

(from 'Family and More - Enemies or Friends?')

What do you hope for?

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment and a part of your poem. It was very kind of you!! I will come and visit your blog again when I have a bit more time. I do love a good poem!! God BLESS you all the way over in the United Kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Simple Beauty, for your comment. I do appreciate it! May you also be blessed each and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Helena for visiting me at Life By George. We all have to work on thinking of others, or maybe not so much the thinking, but putting legs on our thoughts. But, it's always worth it, and I know it pleases God.
    May God Bless Your Day! I've enjoyed your blog also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Liesa, for dropping by my blog. I do love your phrase 'putting legs on our thoughts' - it really appeals to my writer's imagination (I like to write fantasy stories for children as well as poetry) and I have this vision in my head of lots of little thoughts running around looking for a home. Blessings to you, also!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Helena, thanks for visting my blog and leaving a comment :) You have a real talent and flair for writing poems! Please keep up with your passion! I'm not an American and I don't keep up with American politics, but I do hope the new president will usher in a new, better phase for the world. Have a great weekend Helena! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, Celes, for your comment and for the compliment! It's very much appreciated and I will continue to write - thank you for the encouragement! I'm not an American either (I live in the UK), but as the USA has such an enormous influence on the world, I hope very much that the new president will be the harbinger of greater peace in the world.

    All the best to you!

    Helena

    ReplyDelete