Friday, May 1, 2009

Dianne Sagan, author of 'Rebekah Redeemed' and writer of many talents



It's my great pleasure to be host to multi-talented author, Dianne Sagan, this week. Dianne is author of Rebekah Redeemed and is a member of VBT – Writers on the Move.


Dianne Sagan, author, speaker, ghostwriter, and consultant has been a storyteller much of her life. She started writing short stories for her children when they were small. Dianne has spent several years honing her craft as an op-ed columnist in the regional newspaper, Amarillo Globe News, short stories for anthologies and online articles on Suite 101, Writing for Dollars, and others.


Born in the Midwest, she grew up on the plains of West Texas and in her heart of hearts always wanted to write. She says that she loves being married to a writer and an editor because she always has someone to brainstorm with.


Her interests include reading, quilting, gardening, time with her children and grandchildren. She has spent years in volunteer work through Boy and Girl Scouts, her church, and the Sharing Hope Ministry to incarcerated women. She is also involved in writing about women’s issues. She loves speaking to groups about these issues and about writing.


Works in progress include a flash fiction book with five other women writers, Women’s Bible studies, a series of suspense novels, more Christian fiction novellas, and ghostwriting. She is also working on a line of ebooks for students and their families to help them decide on which college to attend, how to understand the financial aid process and the hoops that you have to jump through in order to obtain financial aid, as well as a handbook for a successful first year at college. Her most recently published book is Rebekah Redeemed – a Christian fiction novella.


Dianne is a member of Panhandle Professional Writers and she can be contacted through her website: Dianne Sagan, Writer – http://dgsagan.tripod.com./


She also has a blog at http://www.diannesagan.wordpress.com/ and can be found on Authors Den at http://www.authorsden.com/diannesagan.




INTERVIEW WITH DIANNE SAGAN


Dianne, how do you define your writing?
A quick read that hooks you on the first page (for my novels and novellas).
Informative and practical advice and information (for my nonfiction articles and books).

Why do you write?
I am a compulsive writer. I write because I would explode if I didn’t. My brain is always working on a story or an idea for another book. I would write even if no one read it, but it’s better if people read it.


Can you describe a typical working day for you?
My typical day starts about 9:00am. I spend some quiet time for myself, have some coffee and chat with my husband. I spend the rest of the morning doing email and short projects or research. Then I write until about 3:30 or 4:00pm. Sometimes I go back and write again about 9:00pm until 11:00pm. However, this is flexible according to deadlines and projects. I have an office in my home, but sometimes work at the library or in a local coffee shop for a change of scene. It helps me focus and not get distracted by things around the house. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and write for three or four hours and go back to bed at 6:00am when my husband is getting up. I sleep until about 11:00 and go back to work for the afternoon after a bite to eat.


What is going on with your writing these days?
My current projects include a series of Christian fiction novellas. The series is called Touched by the Savior. Each book is the story of a little known woman who met Jesus during his ministry. The first, which has just been published, is a story of Rebekah, orphaned and used as a slave by her relatives until she is taken in by Lazarus and his sisters. The second tells the story of Peter’s wife. A third tells about the woman at the well after she went home from the well. Others are also planned.


I’ve ghostwritten ten nonfiction books in the last couple of years. Subjects included business success, leadership, health issues, overcoming your past, overcoming your fears, how to tap into your mental strength, and teaching children about finances. My husband and I are also starting a new ghostwriting and editing package called Legacy. This is not your normal memoir or family history/memory book. We work with people who would like to leave behind a message to their family and others about lessons learned in life and the legacy they leave behind. I'm working
with a revision for my novel, Escape, for a publisher who is interested in it and I’m working on stories for several anthologies. I had a story published in the Tainted Mirror anthology in October 2007. The story, Second Chances, is about my son’s head injury and the aftermath.


What writer most inspires you and why?
I don’t think I can say that one writer inspires me. Several inspire me. I took an advanced novel writing class from Jodi Thomas, the romance writer and recipient of five Rita Awards and 2007 inductee to the Romance Writer’s Hall of Fame. She inspires me to keep on writing and submitting. Debbie Macombre inspires me - she started on her kitchen table and now sells her wonderful books everywhere. She writes about friends and relationships in a way that touch you. She encouraged me at a writers conference a few years ago. Deborah LeBlanc, from Louisiana, shows me what it takes to succeed and market yourself and how she gives back to people through her reading program for kids and supplying books for them. We spent time together and she gave me guidance on a plot idea that I was entertaining.


In one sentence – what do you want people to say about your writing in fifty years?
Dianne Sagan wrote timeless books with story lines that held your attention, as well as taught life lessons and gave people hope.

====================================


In my next post, I will be talking about Dianne's recently published novella, Rebekah Redeemed. If you would like to ask Dianne a question, please leave a comment and Dianne will reply in the next few days.




7 comments:

  1. Great post, Helena,

    I read Rebekah Redeemed and it's wonderful. I love the Bible and its stories; Rebekah Redeemed used imagery and descriptions that brought you into biblical times.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helena,

    Thank you so much for having me as a guest on your blog. I love visiting with other writers and readers.

    Karen, thank you for your kind comment about Rebekah Redeemed.

    I look forward to coming back.

    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helena, this is a great post. I've enjoyed reading about Dianne, she is a very interesting writer!

    Liana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, everyone, for your comments - and Liana, I totally agree with you, Dianne is a most interesting and varied writer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dianne...thought provoking interview. I learned so much more about you. I've enjoyed getting to know you better.

    Best wishes,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview and great post on Rebekah Redeemed too. I thoroughlly enjoyed both. Rebekah Redeemed sounds fascinating. So does Dianne, for that matter! Dorothy Massey www.kidsbooksuk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your comments - it's been a pleasure for me to host Dianne this month and to learn more about her and her writing.

    Helena

    ReplyDelete