Monday, June 1, 2009

Gayle Trent - mystery writer and cake decorator!



This month, it is my honour and pleasure to have as a guest on my blog fellow writer and member of the group VBT-Writers on the Move, Gayle Trent. Gayle is a full-time author who lives in Bristol, Virginia with her husband, daughter and son. Gayle worked previously in the accounting and legal fields, and her last such job was as secretary to a Deputy Commissioner in the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission. Though she enjoyed the work, it was a long daily commute and she felt she wasn’t spending enough time with her family. Now she writes while her children are at school and, thanks to a crock pot and a bread machine, can often have dinner ready when everyone gets home.

“I think it’s important to be here for my children…to take part in school functions and to be an active part of their lives,” Gayle says. “I can certainly sympathize with moms who work outside the home—been there, done that—but I would encourage everyone to make time to visit their children’s schools, to have lunch with them at school occasionally, to get a feel for who their friends are…little things like that.”

She is currently working on a new cozy mystery series, involving her hobby of cake decorating. The series features Daphne Martin, a 40 year old divorcee, who has begun the second phase of her life with a new home and a new business venture – Daphne's Delectable Cakes. The first book in the series is called Murder Takes the Cake (ISBN: 978-0-9802453-6-3, printed by Bell Bridge Books, October 2008). In the story, the meanest gossip in Brea Ridge dies mysteriously, and suspicions turn to cake decorator Daphne Martin. But all Daphne did was deliver a spice cake with cream cheese frosting--and find Yodel's body. Now Daphne's got to help solve the murder and clear her good name. Problem is, her Virginia hometown is brimming with people who had good reason to kill Yodel, and Daphne's whole family is among them. Here are just a few comments about the book to whet your appetite:

"Gayle whips up a sweetly satisfying mystery that'll have you licking your lips for more!" – Christine Verstraete, Searching for A Starry Night, A Miniature Art Mystery

Murder Takes the Cake has all the right ingredients for a delicious read.” – Ellen Crosby, The Bordeaux Betrayal

In my second post on Wednesday about Gayle and her writing , you'll be able to read an extract from her book and see more of the reviews it has been earning! If you have any questions for Gayle, please leave a comment.
************************************************************************
Contact details

You can contact Gayle via e-mail at gd830@hotmail.com or via one of her websites: http://www.gayletrent.com/ or http://gayle24202.tripod.com/.

If you share an interest in cake decorating, please visit Daphne’s website, available via click-through from either of Gayle’s sites or at http://www.gayle24202.tripod.com/id9.html.


10 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the feature and learning about Gayle. And any mystery writer who is also a cake decorator has GOTTA be a pretty cool person. :)

    The Old Silly from Free Spirit Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about that, Marvin, but I know the children like it when I experiment with the cake decorating! :-)

    Thank you, Helena, for a lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done post! It was interesting to learn about Gayle. Using cakes as a deadly weapon reminds me of my first wife's cooking. Seriously, the book, Murder Takes The Cake, sounds like an entertaining read. Good luck with it!

    Cheers!

    Harry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your book. I love to use my crock pot too. It's great to get it going first thing and not to have to think about it again.

    Best wishes,
    Donna
    www.familiesmatter2us.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a unique combination: cake decorating and mystery writing, and then to use cakes as murder weapons. Hmmm ...

    http://vivianzabel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm hungry to find out more about this cake decorating murder. It's always good to put what you know best into your books. I wish you continued success.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stop by on Wednesday, Kathy, and you'll be able to read an excerpt from the book which I'm sure will tickle the old taste buds!

    Many thanks, everyone, for stopping by!

    Helena

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post, Helena.

    Gayle your book sounds great. I would love to write mystery stories, I just don't think I have it in me. I'm looking forward to learning more about you and your work.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mystery series sound delightful! I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Helena, many thanks for visiting "My world" very much appreciated. Lovely someone from the Uk also. I base my poetry mainly on what has happened in my life, but like you can write about anything. I have one book published called Negative V. Positive.
    I started to write seriously when I had 2 berevements within 2 months and found it easier to write down my thoughts in poetry form. Singer Daniel O Donnell kindly endorsed the book and it's sold really well.
    I also enjoy writing about the places I travel to.
    Pleased to meet you through blogging.
    Take care.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete