Monday, August 3, 2009

Interview with children's author Dorothy Massey



For my second post this month about children's author, Dorothy Massey, I asked Dorothy some questions about how she started to write for children and why she likes to write for this age group.

Q. Dorothy, can you tell us how you got the commission to write stories for the "Mini Mysteries and Kooky Spookies" anthology?

A. I'd be delighted to, Helena. In 2007, the publishers, Pinestein Press, held a competition called Things That go Bump… . The brief was to write a short story for 7-9 year olds which was spooky and humorous. The setting was a school lunch room. I wrote a story called Little Red Riding Hoo…ood, based on the traditional fairy tale. As a result Pinestein asked me to write a further three stories for the anthology, which is called Mini Mysteries & Kooky Spookies. The result was The Ghost Twin Tales, three stories featuring the mischievous but lovable Wiggle and Woo.

Q. Had you written children’s stories prior to this?

A. I’d completed the Institute of Children’s Literature Course in Writing for Children and Teenagers and had written a couple of stories for that. Until then, though, I hadn’t had any children’s stories published.

Q. Have you written more children’s stories since?

A. Yes. Winning the competition and getting published gave me the confidence to write and submit more stories. Since then I’ve won another two children’s story competitions. Last year, I won Kangaroo Press’ Scary Halloween Competition with a story called Charlie’s Pumpkin Head. Recently, I was one of the winners of the Munch Bunch Storytelling Competition. My entry for that competition, Munch the Storyteller, was released as a podcast recording on the Munch Bunch website in March. The stories are read by the popular T.V. presenter and celebrity, Gail Porter. I’ve also received a commission to write for an upcoming children’s magazine, but details of that are still under wraps at the moment.

Q. What are your current writing projects?

A. I’m writing stories for a British publishing company who have requested submissions for a number of upcoming anthologies. I’ve also started a fantasy novel and am working on a couple of picture book manuscripts.

Q. Why do you like writing for children?

A. It’s so much fun and the possibilities are endless. It’s challenging, but rewarding too. We all have a part of us that is still a child. Writing for children allows me to take mine out to play.

I so agree with that, Dorothy. Thank you for your time, it's been a pleasure!

You can catch up with Dorothy on her blog at www.kidsbooksuk.blogspot.com

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the interview, Helena. I really enjoyed answering your questions, Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Dorothy! I've very much enjoyed having you as a guest on my blog this month.

    Helena

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great interview! Helena, you certainly did ask interesting questions, and Dorothy, I was quite interested to see your answers, now I know quite a bit more about you! You are a very inspiring person!

    Heather Paye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kooky Spookies .... that's great. When I was a kid, all I read was mysteries like the Hardy Boys. I remember Mystery by Moonlight too. That was my first book report. Great post. Best wishes for your success.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete