Friday, August 14, 2009

One Lovely Blog Award

In the past couple of days, I've been touched and honoured to receive One Lovely Blog Award from two very different women, who are themselves very worthy recipients of the award: Karen Cioffi and Heather Paye.

Karen is the founder and coordinator of the yahoo group VBT-Writers on the Move. She is a tireless and selfless promoter of fellow authors, someone who is never daunted by obstacles, who is always looking to find better ways to do things - and her determination and positive attitude are inspiring.

Heather is a fellow VBT-Writers on the Move member. Heather is still very young but she has enormous drive and determination. Her passion for writing and reading comes through in everything she does and she has already had a novel published. She is someone who is not afraid to go all out to make her dreams a reality and as such is an inspiration to old and young alike.

All my fellow VBT members are worthy of this award and I know that several of them, like myself, have been recent recipients, such as Carolyn Howard-Johnson, who – despite being an amazingly busy and successful writer involved in all kinds of projects – still finds time to read others' books, post reviews and give encouragement.

It is now my pleasure to pass on this award. These are the rules for those individuals I choose. They are simple:

1) Accept the award, and don’t forget to post a link back to the awarding person.
2) Pass the award on.

3) Notify the award winners.

There are three women I would like to pass this award on to, who have inspired me in different ways: Liana Metal, Yvonne Lewis and Jan D. Holiday.

Liana Metal: Liana is a fellow modern languages teacher. She is Greek and she teaches English, but she is also a book reviewer and freelance writer. She writes picture books for children, which she illustrates herself, as she is also a talented artist. The aim of her picture books is to not only encourage children to read but also to help them learn something about nature, and she writes in both Greek and English, which is no mean accomplishment! Liana was the person who first introduced me to the group VBT-Writers on the Move, so I have much to thank her for! She is also someone who is incredibly generous with her time and talents, she is a dedicated teacher and she is someone who is always looking for new challenges. I find her attitude truly inspiring.

Yvonne Lewis: Yvonne is a fellow poet from the UK. I recently came across Yvonne's blog when participating in one of the VBT-Writers on the Move blog tours and I immediately liked her style of poetry - quirky, humorous, affectionate, emphasising the positive things in life, the things we have to be grateful for. Her poems often tell a story, something I like to do in my own poetry.

Jan D. Holiday: Jan is a fellow children's author whom I first met on MySpace. When I eventually joined Facebook, Jan very kindly sent suggestions to all her writer friends to send me a friend invitation and so, thanks to Jan, I quickly had a long list of interesting and stimulating fellow authors to connect with there. She is another person who is also very generous with her time and is always willing to give advice.

None of the above may be bestselling authors (yet!), but they inspire me through their selflessness, generosity and kindness and their desire to emphasise the positive side of life.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Helena,
    THANK YOU so much for you very kind words and the Lovely Blog Award. I am honored that you think so much of me. Thanks. I will do the same and pass it on to others!
    Sincerely
    your friend
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're more than welcome, Jan. Enjoy passing it on!

    Helena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helena,
    It was so moving reading your generous comments about me, to think of me as a person that inspires others-I am so happy for that and I trully thank you! You've made me feel so good today! I will certainly pass it on to others.
    Have a great week,
    Liana

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was my pleasure, Liana, to give you the award. It was a nice thing to do!

    Helena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Helena for the award, I have just logged on as I have been extremely busy these past few days.
    Can you clarify how I pass the award on to others? do I have to download a picture of the award and if so how do I do that. I am new to alot of things .Once again thank you
    I feel honoured that you thought of me.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's a good idea to download a picture of the award. Hover your mouse over the picture, right click and then choose 'Save picture as...' and you can save a copy onto your desktop. Then think of someone (who I think has to be female) who inspires you and pass the award on to them in a blog post and then notify them of it. The idea is also to post a link to my post on your blog, as I have done to the two people who gave me the award. Hope that's clear and hope you enjoy passing on the award to others!

    All the best

    Helena

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Helena,
    I passed on the award.
    It's on my blog if you would like to
    see it.
    http://jdswritersblog.blogspot.com/
    Thank you again for thinking about me!
    Sincerely
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Jan. I read your blog post via Facebook and left a comment there. Am looking forward to hosting Mayra myself on my blog in September.

    Helena

    ReplyDelete